[tex-k] New tl build process: luatex libraries

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Wed Mar 4 15:36:39 CET 2009

Hi,

Peter Breitenlohner wrote:
> Hi Taco,
>
> here a completely different point. I want to start building the lua*
> libraries for luatex and obviously have to start with libs/lua51 (will
> probably move this to texk/web2c/luatexdir/lua51).
>
> Your current luatexlib.mk uses
>     luatarget=posix
>     ifeq ($(target),i386-mingw32)
>       ifeq ($(host),i386-linux)
>         luatarget = mingwcross
>       else
>         luatarget = mingw
>       endif
>     else
>     ifeq ($(target),i386-linux)
>       luatarget = posix
>     endif
>     endif
>
> First a remark: the final "luatarget = posix" if $(target)=i386-linux is
> certainly redundant.

Yes. It was luatarget = linux originally, but when we first considered
to drop dlopen() support I changed it provisionally to posix. It never
got removed.

> Then a question: why "luatarget = mingwcross" only if
> $(host)=i386-linux? First probably as well for, e.g., i686-linux and
> then why not for all cross-compilations?

Because I don't know the correct host string for native mingw32
compilations.

> Finally another question: the lua51/Makefile natively uses targets like
> linux, macosx, etc. with various mechanisms for dynamic loading (that is
> LUA_DL_DLOPEN, LUA_DL_DLL, LUA_DL_DYLD, or none of these in loadlib.c).
>
> Is this functionality needed for luatex? Probably not since otherwise
> luatex ought to use libdl or analogous. Correct?

The functionality was dropped because of portability and security
concerns.

Best wishes,
Taco