[tex-k] A question on inclusion of poscript file into LaTeX document

Andrew Komornicki komornic at sbcglobal.net
Tue Sep 16 08:27:26 CEST 2008

I have a question about the behavior of Latex/pdflatex when one
wants to include a figure in the form of a postscript file.
my test file does a simple \includegraphics of a postscript file.
Eventually I would like to create a pdf file as a final document.
A simple test file is found at the end of this brief note.

 this is a current version of TeX/Latex as the log file shows:
This is pdfeTeX, Version 3.141592-1.21a-2.2 (Web2C 7.5.4)
(format=latex 2008.2.17)  8 SEP 2008 16:36 entering extended mode

Have run my test file in three(3) modes.

  1.  latex axx.tex
       --  runs correctly and produces a dvi file

  2.  latex axx.tex
        the file contains the directive \pdfoutput = 1
        the run aborts with the comment:
     Non-PDF special ignored!
     Non-PDF special ignored!
     Non-PDF special ignored!] (./axx.aux) )
     -- note, no pdf file produced.......

  3.  pdflatex axx.tex
       the run aborts with the comment:
    ! LaTeX Error: Unknown graphics extension: .ps.
     -- note, no pdf file produced.......

  My question is whether this behavior is correct and expected.
if so why?  should not all three of these modes produce a correct
output file, whether  dvi, or pdf ??

 any and all insights are very much appreciated.

regards,
andrew

The following example illustrates my problem.
\documentclass[11pt]{article}
\usepackage{graphicx}
% \pdfoutput = 1

\begin{document}

   test file with Postscript figure

\begin{figure}[!ht]
\includegraphics[scale=0.5,angle=-90]{fig1.ps}
\caption{ Sketch of a typical cathode ray tube }
\end{figure}

\end{document}