[tex-k] about typedef boolean

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Wed Oct 3 23:49:29 CEST 2007

Karl Berry wrote:

> Anyway, I looked at cpascal.h.  The stock web2c/cpascal.h already
> #includes several kpathsea headers, so it's certainly going to get
> kpathsea/types.h, so as things stand, it seems it would be useless to
> define boolean there.  Can you explain how it will help?  (I'm not
> trying to be difficult, just don't understand.)

After today, I don't believe I understand myself, anymore.

The core problem is that luatex has lots of bits of C code that need to
interface with the converted pascal code, and web2c was not designed
with that in mind.

An immediate issue I am trying to solve is that I would like to compile
my external C files without having to include luatexd.h in each and
every one (besides being large, it hyjacks many useful variable names).
For this problem, perhaps I should change web2c a bit: having all the
pascal+web typedefs in a single separate .h file would help. That is
why I noticed that the pascal type 'boolean' is defined in a somewhat
odd place (to me, that is).

Right now, I am still too confused to come up with a coherent request
or action plan on any of this. I will get back to you soon-ish (next
week?).

Best wishes,
Taco