[tex-k] [tex-live] xdvi problems with empty glyph

Stefan Ulrich stefanulrich at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Oct 10 23:26:46 CEST 2006

Werner, thanks very much for the sample files! This warning message:

>> >   xdvi-xaw.bin: Warning: Character 0 is mapped to .notdef
>> >                 in font gbsnu30 (page 1), replacing by whitespace.

is indeed factually wrong. What's happening here is that T1lib's
T1_SetChar() does return without an error (it returns a non-NULL
GLYPH pointer), but the 'bits' field of the glyph are NULL. This only
happens for .notdef or whitespace characters, but we couldn't figure
out a way to distiguish these cases. Since whitespace characters are
really rare in `ordinary' fonts (they practically don't exist), and
trying to set a .notdef char usually indicates that something has gone
seriously wrong with the character mapping, we decided to add this
warning.

(There are indeed cases where this warning is useful; see e.g.:
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1295829&group_id=23164&atid=377580
)

Obviously this doesn't work for Chinese fonts. That probably means
that we'd need to look at the encoding vector to decide whether it's
really .notdef, but I don't know yet how to do this e.g. for a font
with built-in encoding (using T1lib?).

Best regards,
Stefan