[tex-k] Autoconf-2.13 vs. 2.59

Peter Breitenlohner peb at mppmu.mpg.de
Fri Feb 18 15:15:34 CET 2005

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005, Karl Berry wrote:

> If it is indeed workable, I would like to tell the Autoconfers about the
> approach, so that they can (if they want) mention it in the
> documentation.  I think they'd be glad to hear about it.

That's a good point. I would, however, prefer that you do that after the new
scheme has been used for the web2/teTeX/TeX-Live trees and is thus well
tested.

BTW: From one of Olaf's mails I got the impression that the $extrasub
feature in autoconf's status.m4 (lines 1004-1006 as of V2.59):
 	dnl Shell code in configure.ac might set extrasub.
 	dnl FIXME: do we really want to maintain this feature?
 	$extrasub
was put in there for him, i.e., for the ac_include functionality.

If that is indeed the case, you might tell them at the same time that this
hook can be removed.

regards,
Peter