[tex-k] header special extension proposal

Paul Vojta vojta at Math.Berkeley.EDU
Wed Aug 17 20:51:20 CEST 2005

On Wed, Aug 17, 2005 at 09:26:31AM +0200, Hendri Adriaens wrote:
> > Actually, what I had in mind was something more like this:
> >
> > 	http://math.berkeley.edu/~vojta/dvipshack.zip
>
> Actually, I do have a comment. Your code is using a method described by
> Keith Reckdahl in epslatex.pdf (pages 35--37), but there it is described
> that it won't work for binary (e)ps files. That's why I implemented the
> method by Thomas Greer.

I thank you for giving page numbers in the 86-page file epslatex.pdf,
but can you also give page number (or chapter/section) references for
Greer's description in the PLRM (912 pages!)?

> Further, your eps file already contains the declarations needed by this
> method ($F2psBegin and friends), while we cannot assume that the user has
> such an eps file as well. Asking the user to insert this in the eps is not
> something we want.

Can you provide a (valid) sample eps file that lacks the declarations that
you mention?  The eps file I gave was as produced by xfig.

> Maybe I misunderstood (the purpose of) your example, but that must be coming
> from the fact that I can't run it unfortunately to see the actual method at
> work.

You seem to understand it well enough.

However, I still don't feel that I understand your proposed method.
Specifically, what PS code would you put just before and after the included
eps file?

--Paul Vojta, vojta at math.berkeley.edu