[tex-k] ~ expansion in TEXMFLOCAL from Knuth

Paul Vojta vojta at Math.Berkeley.EDU
Sat Apr 9 23:11:47 CEST 2005

On Sat, Apr 09, 2005 at 08:23:54PM +0200, Thomas Esser wrote:
> > maybe not), so it could be rather old.  Don't know the version.  Knuth
>
> We can try debugging the problem with our current sources
> (e.g. teTeX-3.0):
>
> $ kpsewhich --version
> kpathsea version 3.5.4
> Copyright (C) 1997 - 2004 K. Berry & O. Weber.
> There is NO warranty.  You may redistribute this software
> under the terms of the GNU General Public License.
> For more information about these matters, see the files named COPYING.
>
> $ TEXMFLOCAL='$HOME/sunburn/texmf' kpsewhich cmrfunny.tfm
> /home/te/sunburn/texmf/fonts/tfm/foo/baa/cmrfunny.tfm
>
> $ TEXMFLOCAL='~/sunburn/texmf' kpsewhich cmrfunny.tfm
>
> I'm currently not at home, so I can't do more than this for today.

Also, constructs such as:

	catcode`\~11 \let\tild=~ \catcode`\~\active
	\input \tild/PVmacs

(in the .tex file), or

	! I can't find file `PVmacs'.
	l.1 \input PVmacs

	Please type another input file name: ~/PVmacs

(at runtime) used to work in teTeX 2.0.2, but not with teTeX 3.0.

In addition, try:

	kpsewhich '$TEXMFMAIN/ls-R'

This worked in 2.0.2, but not 3.0.

--Paul Vojta, vojta at math.berkeley.edu