[tex-k] Re: newer

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Wed Apr 6 23:07:40 CEST 2005

    > mpto: -help: No such file or directory

Olaf -- as I mentioned separately, I just added -help/-version to the
mpware programs.  (With a sigh.)  So the doc is ok.

Reinhard -- Taco installed your patch for the upcoming metapost 0.9
release.  I imagine it will propagate to the next web2c release in due
course.

    > Does it make it sense to remove the paragraph beginning with "Although
    > this could be written as a Perl script ..." from web2c.texi?

Sure, I only wrote that paragraph because it seemed utterly bizarre to
write this program in C when it's about a 3-line shell/perl script.
Whatever.

Taco has long-term plans to rewrite makempx itself in C, so then
newer will not be needed.  Which is good, because the name newer clashes
with some Windows program, according to reports from time to time.

I have a bunch of other things to fix in web2c.texi; I'll send Olaf a
patch in a while.

Thanks,
karl