[tex-k] Re: c-std.h contains declarations which conflict with stdio.h

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Fri Apr 9 19:44:45 CEST 2004

Hi Frank,

    c-std.h: extern FILE *popen ();
    stdio.h: extern FILE *popen __P ((__const char *__command, __const char *__modes));

Is this a problem?  I had the impression that an empty arg list () was
compatible with a specified arg list.

In any case, there are certainly better ways to handle the problem, like
check specifically for a popen/pclose declaration (AC_CHECK_DECL), and
only declare it in c-std.h if it's not present.  Or, these days,
everything has popen anyway, so just delete the whole thing.

For that matters, lots of stuff in c-std.h looks to have not been
modified in a decade.

However, ultimately any changes in this area are up to Olaf and/or
Thomas ...  I wouldn't want to hack the c-std.h in the TeX Live sources
without their saying the same change will make it back into the master.

Thanks,
karl