[tex-k] Problem with kpathsea (in latest web2c 7.3.9)

Gerben Wierda Sherlock@rna.nl
Thu, 24 Oct 2002 14:28:51 +0200

On my system there are currently two TeX installations: /usr/local/TeX
and /usr/local/teTeX. They are more or less identical. Important for my
problem is the fact that both have a top-level texmf.cnf, which starts
like this:

% Our directory setup as explained in
$SELFAUTOPARENT/share/README.macosx
% TEXMFMAIN contains the main TEXMF tree
TEXMFMAIN = $SELFAUTOPARENT/share/texmf
% TEXMFOS contains Mac OS specific defaults and additions
TEXMFOS = $SELFAUTOPARENT/share/texmf.os
% TEXMFLOCAL contains any local system TeXadmin overrides
TEXMFLOCAL = $SELFAUTOPARENT/share/texmf.local
% $VARTEXMF is where texconfig writes its local settings
VARTEXMF = $TEXMFLOCAL
% User texmf trees can be catered for like this...
HOMETEXMF = $HOME/Library/texmf

I have a small perl file whith the following commands:

system( "which kpsewhich");
system( "kpsewhich --format='web2c files' updmap.cfg");

Here is my problem. When the path is (never mind the reason why this
path is like it is):

/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/../../bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current:/
usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/Network/Users/gerben

I get

/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/../../bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current/
kpsewhich
/usr/local/TeX/share/texmf/web2c/updmap.cfg

The second line is wrong (in fact what /usr/local/TeX is, is the prefix
with which kpathsea has been compiled, it is the compiled-in fallback).
It should be:

/usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current/kpsewhich
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/web2c/updmap.cfg

which is what I get when the path is

/usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/
sbin:/sbin:/Network/Users/gerben

In other words: does SELFAUTO... not work when I have stuff like ../..
in my PATH?