[tex-k] problems with the dvi viewer supplied with LaTeX

Stefan Ulrich stefan.ulrich@dsl.pipex.com
Fri, 22 Nov 2002 12:01:07 +0000

Morten S Mikkelsen <msnider@tiscali.dk> writes:

> I've downloaded and compiled the tetex package for my ps2-linux system
> (running under X).

Is ps2-linux what it sounds like, Linux on a Playstation2?
People do run xdvi on eccentric systems ;-)

> Basicly everything is working except when I view the dvi files with the
> supplied viewer xdvi, the letters are all displayed in white but each
> letter is placed on a seperate black rectangular square.
> The rest of the background ofcourse is white as always.

What version of xdvi (output of `xdvi -version') is this?
What X server are you running? What's the output of
`xdpyinfo', and of `wininfo' for the xdvi window?
Does it help to use one of:
$ xdvi -install test.dvi
$ xdvi -thorough test.dvi
?

(I reckon the effect vanishes if you turn off anti-aliasing with
`xdvi -nogrey'?)

--
Stefan Ulrich