[tex-k] (no subject)

Hillas, John j.hillas@auckland.ac.nz
Thu, 16 May 2002 12:40:19 +1200

Dear tex-k,

I'm writing about the default config.ps file.

I'm using TeX Live 6 on a Windows computer,
but the part of the file I'm referring to
I've seen in a number of different settings.

It is the part that says

% Partially download Type 1 fonts by default.  Only reason not to do
% this is if you encounter bugs.  (Please report them to
% @email{tex-k@@mail.tug.org} if you do.)

I don't have any particular view as to
whether the default behaviour should be
changed, but there seems to be a consensus
advice given by the "experts" that if one is
going to distill the resulting postscript file
(certainly if using Acrobat) that it is safer
not to partially download the Type 1 fonts, but
to rather let Acrobat do the subsetting later.

If this is true then perhaps the commented advice
could be changed.  For example to

% Partially download Type 1 fonts by default.  One reason not to do
% this is if you encounter bugs.  (Please report them to
% @email{tex-k@@mail.tug.org} if you do.)
% The other reason to change this is if you are creating a postscript
% file in order to later distill it to a pdf file.  In this case it is
% safer call dvips with the option -j0, so that fonts are fully
% embedded, and let the Distiller do the subsetting.

Regards,

John

John Hillas
Department of Economics