[tex-k] Twiki is broken; sorry . . . let's use tex-k list if that's okay.

Tomas G. Rokicki rokicki@CS.Stanford.EDU
Fri, 9 Nov 2001 12:03:02 -0800 (PST)

I agree, Olaf, which is why I said we can pull tarballs and periodically
sync.  To do your style of development with p4, you just pull a recent
tree out while online at some point in time.  Then you do anything you
want with that tree, offline.  At some point you decide to commit your
changes; you just connect again and do a p4 diff to find the changes and
build a changelist and submit your changes.  The nice thing about this
is you have all of the p4 structure to support your changes, and you
can carefully group the changes into nice bug fixes, etc.

Essentially, you can use p4 like one would use cvs (where you can
do virtually everything offline).

Heck, you can even get a patch file for your tarball pretty easily
(give me all the changes in the last month, as a patch file) rather
than pulling a new tarball.

I've done a tremendous amount of offline work this way with both
cvs and perforce and it works just fine.  You still need to do the
resolution of conflicting changes, but this is true in any case.

-tom