[tex-k] dvilj : does not handle postscript commands

Thomas Esser te@informatik.uni-hannover.de
Wed, 7 Mar 2001 15:02:29 +0100 (MET)

> Thomas Esser wrote:
> > > Because I have a HP LaserJet 4 'm' and Ghostscript (both GNU and AFPL versions)
> > > does not handle very well this printer. (and I'm tired waiting for the printer
> > > to print postscript documents containing images...)
> >
> > Well, IIRC, that 'm' version of the LaserJet 4 *has* a build-in PostScript
> > interpreter. So, you can just use dvips (without ghostscript).
>
> Sure ! I just told it spends a lot of time printing in postscript mode
> (sometimes several minutes per page) compared to PCL (very fast even if the page
> is full of big images).

Ah. I thought that the printer was slow at printing the ghostscript
output.

So, to get you right: gs is just not good enough for your needs (why? I
have a LJ4P and am *very* happy with gs) and the Postscript stuff in
your printer is too slow for you?

Thomas