[tex-k] xdvi: use BROWSER variable instead of/in addition to WWWBROWSER?

Stefan Ulrich stefan.ulrich@elexir.de
Sun, 16 Dec 2001 20:09:08 -0500

Julian Gilbey <J.D.Gilbey@qmul.ac.uk> writes:

[ quote from http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/BROWSER/ ]
>   For example, on most Linux systems a good thing to do would be:

>   BROWSER='mozilla -raise -remote "openURL(%s,new-window)":links'

it now has `lynx' instead of `links' ;-)

The proposal sounds reasonable; my only objection would be that
it doesn't make a difference between X and terminal applications
(like e.g. the XEDITOR/EDITOR variable); an X application might
want to invoke `xterm -e lynx' instead of just `lynx' since the
IO of the latter will be lost if there's no controlling tty.

> Would it be feasible to implement this for xdvi?

I guess so; I've now filed it as a feature request on:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=493942&group_id=23164&atid=377583

> At the moment, the WWWBROWSER variable is not very clearly
> documented.

Agreed, the description of that is really lacking. The way it
works is that it just forks the concatenation of $WWWBROWSER and
the URL, so it doens't allow for `%s' (in contrast to the .editor
resource for example).

> Maybe use BROWSER with this syntax if it is defined, otherwise
> fall back to WWWBROWSER.

Yup, that would make sense.

--
Stefan Ulrich