[tex-k] Interesting problems with EPS file searchng (with dvips)

Olaf Weber olaf@infovore.xs4all.nl
05 Dec 2001 20:11:02 +0100

Tom Kacvinsky writes:

> Thanks for the information, Akira.
> Now we know what is happening.  My question for Olaf is this:

>   Will you change this?  Or do we (Tom R. and I) have to do
>   something special in dvips to handle this case?

Well...the current behaviour is at least as documented, and IMHO does
make sense (sort of).  I'm also not quite sure what kind of fix you
have in mind.  Certainly encoding these paths in the dvi is a bad idea
to begin with.

Various options:
- Current behaviour: explicit relative implies working from CWD.
  Disadvantage: doesn't work if your directory layout and CWD don't
  match with what they were when the file was generated.
- Treat explicit relative like implicit relative.
  This still requires that your directly layout matches, at least.
- Try first using the relative path, if not found try again just using
  the basename.  Imposes the fewest constraints, but I suppose it also
  can lead to surpising results due to the wrong files being found.

--
Olaf Weber

               (This space is left blank for technical reasons.)