[tex-hyphen] [tex-live] hyph-ru.tex is faulty.

David Carlisle d.p.carlisle at gmail.com
Thu Jan 26 15:18:02 CET 2017

On 26 January 2017 at 14:08, Arthur Reutenauer
<arthur.reutenauer at normalesup.org> wrote:
>> A related issue came up for latex as we set up the formats for
>> 2017/01/01 release defaulting to Unicode encoding for the first time,
>> should we default to NFC normalisation (using the xetex primitive and
>> some lua callback) which would go some way to
>> avoiding the need to deal with combining accents in the patterns?
>
>   This won’t help in this case :-)  There are no precomposed characters
> in Unicode for Cyrillic letters with acute accent,

Which I knew at some point since Christmas as that was one argument
I used against adding normalisation, that it only avoided the problem
for some subset of languages..
But missed that just now, sorry:-)

> which is what we’d
> need in this instance (the acute accent is only used in very specific
> contexts in Russian to mark stress, for example in some dictionaries,
> and texts for teaching Russian as a second language, which was the use
> case discussed in November).
>
>> we didn't do that this time for fear of clashing with existing code
>> but if this issue is going to keep coming up it might be good to look
>> at this again...
>
>   I’d really advocate against imposing NFC in the formats.  Actually,
> on the long run I think NFD makes more sense, but that’s probably
> several more years down the line :-)

Yes NFD is in a way more consistent I'd agree. Anyway thanks for
the confirmation that we are best not touching normalisation at this point

>         Best,
>
>                 Arthur

David