[tex-hyphen] luatex and file names

Arthur Reutenauer arthur.reutenauer at normalesup.org
Thu Feb 11 00:24:08 CET 2016

On Sun, Jan 10, 2016 at 01:34:51PM +0100, Javier Bezos wrote:
> I resume this thread, because I'll work on it. The idea is
> essentially to use the old good mechanism of language.dat,
> but delayed if the engine is luatex (in babel.def instead
> of hyphen.cfg, which the exception of English). Any additional
> thoughts?

  I didn't have time to participate in a discussion one month ago, but
expected that you would at least let us know when the code was ready so
that we would have a chance to comment, and amend the packages that
depended on hyphen.cfg.  Uploading to CTAN directly, from where it was
propagated to distributions, created serious problems for Polyglossia
(and, I suspect, other packages) -- it made it essentially unusable with
LuaTeX.

  I understand Babel has since then been downgraded, at least in TeX
Live, so it's not an urgent problem any more, but it would have been
good practice to invite people to test before deploying the code to
production environments, particularly since you initiated the discussion
yourself on this list (You may have made announcements elsewhere, but I
haven't seen any, and I read many mailing lists).

	Best,

		Arthur