[tex-hyphen] Documentation for gloss-<language>.ldf files

Claudio Beccari claudio.beccari at gmail.com
Fri Nov 20 20:51:41 CET 2015

I would like ti suggest to extend to the gloss-<laguage>.ldf the same
treatement that it is now used for the documentation of the
babel_<language>.ldf documentation.

Each language description file for babel is accompaned by a
corresponding pdf file where the funcionality of the language settings
are explained. This is now missing for the corresponding language
descritpion file to be used by polyglossia; the polyglossia
documentation summarises these pieces of information but generaly not
more than half a page per language.

At the asmae time it is normal that the setting for polyglossia are
different frome the settings for babel; is sufficies to examine some ldf
files tu realize that the functionalities generally are not the same
when using babel or polyglossia; there are may reasons for this
difformity, but it is a fact that the documentation contaned in
babel-<language>.pdf does not document also what is summarized in
polyglossia.

I suggest that each gloss-,langage>.ldf file is accompanied by a
gloss_<language>.pdf file (readable with texdoc) where the peculiarities
of the variants and of the other settings are summarized; I would
sugggest that these documentation and language descritption files are
embedded in the same .dtx file. This would help very much the users and
potential creators or maintainers of the description files to keep track
of possible changes, and to explain why such changes were introduced,
and so on. No one of us lives for ever and at a certian point he or she
must give up and soomebody else should take over. Everything would be
much simpler if it was documented.

Claudio