[tex-hyphen] Azerbaijani hyphenation

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Sat Oct 18 09:32:52 CEST 2014

Hi,

I'm cc-ing the hyphenation mailing list in the reply as some people
might be interested as well and might be able to answer your question,
but please remind me to reply to you in November as I'm currently away
and have no time to answer or work on this.

On Sat, Oct 18, 2014 at 3:28 AM, Namig Guliyev wrote:
> Dear Mojca,
>
> Javier Bezos recommended me to contact you for hyphenation issues. I created
> a hyphenation file for Azerbaijani based on the Turkish version. But in
> addition to Turkish letters Azerbaijani alphabet contains also the letter
> "Əə" (schwa). None of the existing TeX font encodings contains the latin
> capital letter schwa. The only solution that I found is to write
>
> \usepackage[T2A]{fontenc}
> \usepackage[utf8x]{inputenc}
>
> \usepackage{microtype}
> \DisableLigatures[f]{encoding = *}
>
> \DeclareTextSymbol{\Schwa}{T2A}{154}
> \DeclareTextSymbol{\schwa}{T2A}{186}
> \DeclareUnicodeCharacter{399}{\Schwa}
> \DeclareUnicodeCharacter{601}{\schwa}
>
> in the preamble of Azerbaijani LaTeX documents (and classes that I create).
> But then the words containing the accented letters ü, ö, ğ, ç, ş don't
> hyphenate. Is there any way to correct this situation?
>

> Best regards,
> Namig J. Guliyev.

My only request is: please please please, let's support just LuaTeX
and XeTeX and forget about 8-bit TeX and strange encodings as that
requires an enormous amount of work and users won't be able to use any
fonts unless someone would put *lots and lots* of effort into it. I'm
heavily against supporting 8-bit TeX for new hyphenation patterns for
alphabets that don't fit into any existing encoding.

But if rules are similar to Turkish, I can help you to come up with
patterns once I come back home.