[tex-hyphen] More on hyphenating Ancient Greek.

Philip Taylor P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Thu Nov 13 12:27:56 CET 2014

Jonathan Kew wrote:

> This isn't really a Greek issue, it's more general. For an English
> analogy, compare the results (in Plain TeX) of
>
>    \showhyphens{colorful}
>    % yields "col-or-ful"
>
>    \showhyphens{colourful}
>    % yields "colour-ful"; the en-US patterns don't do "col-our"
>
>    \showhyphens{colo[u]rful}
>    % doesn't find any hyphens; in particular, NOT "colo[u]r-ful"
>
>    \lccode`[=`[  \lccode`]=`]
>    \showhyphens{colo[u]rful}
>    % yields "colo[u]r-ful", but other side-effects are a real risk,
>    % so I can't recommend this as a general solution
>

> I'm sure LuaTeX could be programmed to deal with this somehow.... :)

In a parallel universe, undoubtedly !

Yes, completely agree it is not Greek-specific.  An analogy occurs in
the existing work at the XML level, where I have added the attribute
"indexterm" so that one can write (for example) :

<owner-individual indexterm="Carlyle!Joseph\
Dacre"><minor-hand>J.~D.~Carlyle</minor-hand></owner-individual>

to avoid <minor-hand> ... </> from interfering with index collation.

Thus what one needs at the TeX level would be (e.g.)

\hyphenateas {Σωσον Κύριε τῶν λαον σου καὶ ευλογησον τὴν κληρονομιαν ...
}{Σωσον Κ(ύρι)ε τῶν λα(ον) σου καὶ ευλογησον τὴν κλ<η>ρονομια<ν> ... }

or at the TeX.web level : "if \lccode < 0, ignore character while
performing line-breaking".

but sadly Knuth never foresaw that need, as far as I know.

** Phil.