[tex-hyphen] should bahasa be a synonym for Indonesian?

Philip Taylor P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Wed Nov 27 21:38:18 CET 2013

Jonathan Kew wrote:

> On 27/11/13 19:21, Scott Kostyshak wrote:
>
>> There appear to be 742 languages of Indonesia
>> [1]. Are those languages not "Indonesian"?
>
> While there are many hundreds of other languages spoken in Indonesia
> (see also http://www.ethnologue.com/country/ID/languages), which thus
> may be referred to as "Indonesian languages", they are not actually
> named "Indonesian"; they each have their own name(s).

But Scott did not ask 'Are those languages not /named/ "Indonesian" ?';
he asked 'Are those languages not "Indonesian" ?', which I would
argue is a very different question.  If we consider the languages of
China, I think few Sinologists would claim that all but one are not
"Chinese".  This seems a valid parallel to me.

** Phil.