[tex-hyphen] should bahasa be a synonym for Indonesian?

Philip Taylor P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Wed Nov 27 16:01:02 CET 2013

Jonathan Kew wrote:

> Actually, it may be. Yes, it is clearly a Malay word (derived from
> Sanskrit or Pali or whatever...) meaning "language", but in English it
> can be used by itself as a language name. As the Oxford English
> Dictionary defines it:[1]
>
>> Bahasa, n.  The variety of Malay used as the national language of the
>> Republic of Indonesia (Bahasa Indonesia) or of Malaysia (Bahasa
>> Malaysia).

Much as I am grateful for your support in this, I do think in fairness
I should point out that (a) the OED goes on to say "Also ellipt.", and
(b) of the 10 citations given, only one uses "Bahasa" in stand-alone
mode rather than as a generic term (meaning [the] [national] language
[of]) followed by a country name.  Thus I suspect that UNESCO were
in fact using the word elliptically in the context quoted.

Philip Taylor