[tex-hyphen] use of middle dot as a separator

Werner LEMBERG wl at gnu.org
Wed Dec 19 18:18:39 CET 2012

> I have seen in this document[1] that the middle dot character
> (U+00B7) is proposed as a separator for indicating hyphenation
> points (with the lowest priority).  This should be strongly
> discouraged as this character is commonly used inside words in
> Catalan and other languages.[2]
>
> [1] Hyphenation Definition File Format (under development), section 3.
> Hyphenation priority
> http://xml.resource.org/cgi-bin/xml2rfc-dev.cgi?mode=html&url=https://raw.github.com/PanderMusubi/hyphenation-definitions/master/hyphenation-definitions.xml#priority
>
> [2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interpunct#Catalan

Thanks for this hint.  We will think about a solution.

Khaled writes:

  I think what you want is U+2027 HYPHENATION POINT.

Yes, this is a possibility.  However, having a document using both
U+00B7 and U+2027 is calling for trouble.  I think a better solution
is to have a kind of `header' to the word list which exactly specifies
the used hyphenation category characters, providing defaults which can
be easily overridden.  In German for example, the middle dot is just
fine, however for Catalan, a different one has to be used instead.

     Werner