[tex-hyphen] tl2011-pretest: loadhyph-sr-cyrl.tex still not activated by default?

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 00:50:10 CEST 2011

Dear Nikola and others,

With respect to your request something else just came to my mind. We
currently have two sets of patterns:
- Serbo-Croatian in Cyrillic script (last modified by Dejan Muhamedagić in 2008)
- Serbian in Cyrillic script (last modified by Aleksandar Jelenak in
2003; based on patterns by Dejan)

Serbo-Croatian patterns (older) are supposed to cover Serbian pretty
well (at least that is what Dejan says). I'm not sure what the reason
for further modifications by Aleksandar was and to what extent he
modified the patterns and Dejan didn't do much checking either. (I
hope that Aleksandar didn't modify them manually over existing
patgen-generated patterns.)

So now we have:
- hyph-sh-latn.tex -> serbian
- hyph-sh-cyrl.tex (equal as sh-latn, but not used anywhere)
- hyph-sr-cyrl.tex -> serbianc

I have now merged serbian and serbianc for XeTeX and I will soon
commit a version that merges them for LuaTeX.

However now a semi-serious problem arises. If you try to typeset some
text in both scripts and if we use hyph-sh-latn + hyph-sr-cyrl then
you will end up in different hyphenation.

This might have been another reason why the serbian hyphenation
patterns were disabled. I simply have no idea which ones should be
included and why one set of patterns would be better than the other. I
would prefer if we would either create hyph-sr-latn (transliteration
from hyph-sr-cyrl) or include hyph-sh-latn+hyph-sh-cyrl.

(We can prepare a longer document with hyphenation points colored, so
that one could compare differences between hyph-sr-cyrl and
hyph-sh-cyrl, but I'm not qualified to judge about differences and
which ones are right or wrong.)

Mojca