[tex-hyphen] pTeX and Greek hyphenation patterns

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Wed Jan 19 17:06:37 CET 2011

Dear Takayuki,

Thank you very much for the answer. I got all the answers that I needed.

> I've once given an answer on the following post on "TeX Forum".
> http://oku.edu.mie-u.ac.jp/tex/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=460#p2431
> If you feel this is too hard to understand,

I remember that and I did understand that, I was just not really sure
about Greek (which had at least some theoretical chances to be
supported out-of-the-box). The information I didn't have was that its
support in JIS X was useless.

> then the simple answer is:
> "mostly the same as 8-bit (pdf)TeX users do", except that some
> restrictions are imposed. That is, pTeX users write Greek with
> using Babel and LGR font encoding, and they normally use CB Fonts
> but might prefer some other family (eg. from GFS families), etc.
> Now I will explain on the most tricky part, input encodings.
>
> Given that pTeX can read UTF-8, onw might want to write Greek in UTF-8,
> but there is a high hurdle to do it; the hurdle is that JIS X 0208
> *does* contain (rather than *does not*) Greek letters.
>
> Because the JIS repertoire contains a part of Greek letters, such
> letters are treated as Japanese text and output using Japanese fonts

Thanks. That completely answers my question. So we will simply
continue to use gr*hyph5.tex. It will probably be best if we simply
include it into hyph-utf8 and install those patterns unconditionally.