[tex-hyphen] weighting hyphenation points

Stephan Hennig mailing_list at arcor.de
Wed May 26 11:22:23 CEST 2010

Am 25.05.2010 14:57, schrieb Taco Hoekwater:
> Stephan Hennig wrote:
>>
>> But my concern with hyphenation penalty cumulation is another one. Since
>> TeX does just penalty cumulation during paragraph breaking, too, there
>> can be interaction between hyphenations penalties across different words
>> of a paragraph, that, summing-up, can steer paragraph breaking into the
>> wrong direction (inferior solution).
>
> Please keep thinking about an actual implementation.

As I have tried to outline in an earlier mail, my conflict resolution
strategy requires putting the pattern sets into a ranking by priority.
The actual strategy looks like this:

   * At each hyphenation position apply the penalty from that matching
     pattern set, that has highest priority.  Here's some pseudo code:

     loop (over pattern sets in priority order)
       if (pattern set matches a hyphenation) then
          penalty = penalty[pattern set]
          break
       end
     end