[tex-hyphen] new languages

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Fri May 21 01:30:07 CEST 2010

On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 01:16, Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard wrote:
> Also, I realise now I forgot another difference in hyphen-german:
> your version has an entry for swissgerman. I bet it's something new so that it's
> normal that we don't have it in TL, but just in case...

The swissgerman is pretty recent indeed, but maybe I forgot to notify
anyone to add it to tlpsrc in TL and apparently nobody missed it.
Also: I'm not even sure if the name makes sense or if it's supported
in Polyglossia/Babel. It was just the first thing that came to my mind
when the Germans asked me to include another set of patterns.

On the other hand another question raises. We also recently got
Armenian and Lao patterns (they are both in initial development phase;
working, but not too well tested), not to mention the 12 Indic ones.
Nobody has ever requested most of these languages and in most cases
there's no Polyglossia support for them yet either. What's the policy
of adding new languages to tlpsrc?

The author of Lao was first asking for help to get the hyphenation
right and is now trying to come up with patterns, so it makes sense to
include them, but Armenian and most Indic ones came out of the blue
without any request so far.