[tex-hyphen] liturgical latine

Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard mpg at elzevir.fr
Sun May 9 11:51:10 CEST 2010

Le 09/05/2010 09:08, Elie Roux a écrit :
> I'm writing some books with TeX using liturgical latine, which for about
> 100 years contains accents. The accents do not change the sounds but the
> accentuation, so any vowel can be accentuated: ǽ, ý (in Kýrie eléison
> only), é, á, í, ú and ó. Œ theorically could also be accentuated, but
> I've never seen it (it mostly appears in non-liturgical latine).

If you don't need to \lowercase things, you could try to cheat by setting
\lccode`\é=`\e etc. Of course this may have side-effects. See below for a
possibly better solution using the same idea.

> Would it be possible to hyphenate the accentuated latine with the same
> patterns as the non-accentuated one?

It seems to me that e-TeX's \savinghyphcodes is precisely done for that
(consider many letters equivalent to the same letter for hyphenation purpose,
without needing to affect their \lccode at runtime). So,

\begingroup \savinghypcodes1
\lccode`\é=`\e % etc.
% input latin patterns
\endgroup

should work (I assume you create a new language for that). Unfortunately,
\savinghyphcodes is disabled in LuaTeX, and didn't seem to work with XeTeX last
time I tried.

Manuel.