[tex-hyphen] tamil and malayalam

François Charette firmicus at ankabut.net
Tue Mar 16 16:47:16 CET 2010

On 16/03/2010 15:57, Mojca Miklavec wrote:

> Where did that person post the patterns?

On the xetex mailing list, two days ago.

>> The file header only says they used a
>> script developed by Yves Codet and Jonathan Kew to generate them. My guess
>> is that they are derived from the Aspell ones:
>> ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/aspell/dict/0index.html
>> (or perhaps the equivalent DIC files for hunspell under OpenOffice).
>>
> I would like to see the files ... if nothing else to figure out where
> they come from. It would make sense to take them from original
> repository.

See attachment. But I have asked the contributors to provide that
information.

BTW I was misled. Aspell does not provide hyphenation patterns of
course. The more likely source is rather
http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/en/project/hyph_ml_IN
and
http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/en/project/hyph_ta_IN

I also have gloss files for Marathi, Bengali and Telugu pending
integration into polyglossia, but no hyphenation patterns for them yet.
If you or Arthur can convert the ones available from OpenOffice, that
would be wonderful :)

>> No, Tamil and Malayalam are Dravidian languages, each with their own
>> script,
>> and thus completeley unrelated to Sanskrit :)
>>
> OK. I just wasn't sure since the Sanskrit patterns also have
> "Malayalam", whatever that means.

Ah, this is because the Sanskrit language, which is usually written in
the Devanagari script, can also be written in various regional scripts
(Bengali, Gujarati, Malayalam, etc.) There Malayalam refers to the
script, not the language.

>>> 1.) I would like to leave that joy to Arthur.
>>> 2.) If we add them all, that means that pdftex will also load those
>>> extra ten languages.
>>>
>> Well, there is indeed an inflationary risk. But not all hyphenation patterns
>> need to be activated by default. TeX distributions like MikTeX and TeX Live
>> can decide whether the patterns for non-Western languages that are only
>> usable with xetex or luatex should be commented out by default or not.
>>
> In my opinion it makes little sense to activate them by default, but
> on the other hand a complete TeX Live installation loads *all* the
> patterns since installing a package is equal to activating the
> patterns (at least in TeX Live). MikTeX has some graphical user
> interface to choose which patterns to install.

Let's leave that decision to Karl, Norbert and others then ;)

FC