[tex-hyphen] tex patterns as lua files

Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard mpg at elzevir.fr
Thu Apr 29 06:35:01 CEST 2010

Le 27/04/2010 11:42, Mojca Miklavec a écrit :
> On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 11:19, Élie Roux wrote:
>> Mojca, you asked me some times ago about a modification of the
>> loadhyph-xx.tex files to take into account the modifications for
>> LuaTeX. Here is an example for french (not really tested I must
>> admit), is this the kind of things you want?
>
> Yes, thank you very much.
>
> Once you add the necessary files to repository (branches/luatex branch
> to start with), I'll try to regenerate all the loadhyph files to do
> that (and then we need to test both approaches).

I'm sorry for my lack of enthusiasm on this part (and for not reacting earlier,
but I really got to grips with the whole problem only recently), but do we
really want to do that? I buys us nothing and could possibly lead to problems,
so my opinion is that we don't want to do it.

Let me argue with more details, first on the "buys nothing" part:
- with LuaTeX-based formats other than ConTeXt, loadhyph-XX.tex files are never
\input-ed. We know it for sure: we're precisely in the process of doing
everything so that they are never \input-ed. So, LuaTeX-specific code in these
files will most probably never be executed.
- even if the files were \input-ed by LuaTeX, what would we gain? Possibly a few
micro-seconds (by using the Lua interface) *at format generation* which really
doesn't matter.

Now on the "potential problems" part: well, rule number one is: never change
something that works without a reason, and see above :-) Additional argument:
we're already doing big changes, so let's not add new potential problems right now.

So, I strongly suggest to keep the loadhyph-XX.tex files untouched. (At least
for now.)

Wdyt?

Manuel.