[tex-hyphen] UTF-8 hyphenation patterns for Spanish updated

Javier Bezos listas at tex-tipografia.com
Tue Sep 23 15:11:56 CEST 2008

Mojca:

> Those who want to use luatex or xetex, will probably have
> to install
> the latest TeX Live or MikTeX anyway. And I wonder how many
> other
> people on older systems really care about some newer
> version of
> patterns.

When people are writing large documents and working on big projects
(like a book), they usually don't update the whole TeX system but just
problematic packages.  At some places, the system is not upgraded if
it's working correctly, except for fixing small problems.  That's
usually a sensible decision (and not only with TeX).  So, I presume
there will be a transitional period of 2-3 years with both files
coexisting.

> You are using an interesting idea to define patterns. What
> I like
> about it is that you don't need to know all the
> characters in advance.
>     \setchar ñ{^^f1}{^^d1}\relax
> that could be even simplified to
>     \setchar ñ{^^f1}\relax
> is much more readable than our ugly macros.

The "third" parameter (the fourth if in uft8) is the uppercase code.
Not always necessary, but sometimes it's.

Javier