[tex-hyphen] Czech and Slovak hyphenation patterns

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Mon Jun 23 17:25:18 CEST 2008

On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 11:06 AM, Petr Olsak wrote:

> What we will need to do if the patterns sources are stored in utf8: First,
> the converter to il2 encoding similar to conv-utf8-ec.tex have to be done.
> Second: I can try change the hyphen.lan file (which si used for pattens
> add new encoding in csplain if the unicode-ready TeX engine is detected, so
> there will be each pattern loaded three times: in il2 encoding (default), in
> t1 encoding (EC fonts) and in unicode (Unicode fonts). User can choose
> preferable encoding at begin of each document.
>
> The relevant files from csplain format can be found in TeXlive or in
> ftp://math.feld.cvut.cz/pub/olsak/csplain. Note csplain.ini, hyphen.lan
> il2code.tex t1code.tex especially.

I took a look and here are some notes:
- it would make sense to update the list of patterns in that file (TeX
Live 2008 will ship with other files than the ones you lists as
examples in hyphen.lan)
- the file is probably only useful for plain (not for XeTeX at all),
in that case, you can load the pattern unconditionally

I guess that these lines:

\begingroup          \language=\czech
\csaccents
\message{Loading Czech patterns in ISO-8859-2 encoding,
         \string\language=\the\language.}
\let\global=\relax
\input czhyphen.tex \relax
\input czhyphen.ex \relax
\endgroup

could be replaced with something similar to:

\begingroup          \language=\czech
\message{Loading Czech patterns in ISO-8859-2 encoding,
         \string\language=\the\language.}
\let\global=\relax
\input conv-utf8-il2 \relax
\input hyph-cs.tex \relax
\endgroup

and this

\begingroup
\input t1code        \language=\toneczech
\csaccents
\message{Loading Czech patterns in Cork encoding,
         \string\language=\the\language.}
\let\global=\relax
\input czhyphen.tex \relax
\input czhyphen.ex \relax
\endgroup

with something similar to

\begingroup
\language=\toneczech
\message{Loading Czech patterns in Cork encoding,
         \string\language=\the\language.}
\let\global=\relax
\input conv-utf8-ec \relax
\input hyph-cs.tex \relax