[tex-hyphen] Apostrophe

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Mon Jun 16 17:16:51 CEST 2008

> IMO, where some patterns have traditionally included the apostrophe (x27),
> we should probably provide duplicate patterns with U+2019 as well.

Any little/tiny chance to use some other way to achieve the same? It's
seem like yet-another-hack to me, that will prevent us from direct
conversion to 8-bit patterns.

1.) create a list of equivalent characters

2.)
a) parse contents of \patterns and if some character from the list
belongs to that list, duplicate the pattern before it's passed to TeX
b) extend the engine (only XeTeX/LuaTeX in that case) in some way to
accept hints that some characters are equivalent during hyphenation. I
guess that \lccode does exactly that, but I'm not sure what will
happen if I set lccode of "adiaeresis" to lccode of "a" for example,
when I want to use some macro to do uppercasing/lowercasing of words
for me.

I would really prefer not to introduce new hacks in patterns.
Apostrophe represents a single character, so it should be left as a
single character in patterns (assuming that we leave it there), only
TeX might see it in a different way.