[tex-hyphen] pattern packaging

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Mon Jun 16 14:56:37 CEST 2008

On Sat, Jun 14, 2008 at 7:52 PM, Karl Berry wrote:
>    > Anyway, please create a draft and I'll comment.  It's easier to refine
>    > a real instantation than figure it all out in a void.
>    Done.
>
> Thank you very much.  It looks good overall.
>
> My one thought is that it would simplify things for me if
> tex/generic/config was not in the hyph-utf8 TDS package.  The filename
> doesn't fit.

We moved everything to trunk/TL. I think that we got rid of alien
files entirely now.

> Seeing it now, I do appreciate your generating it.  However, I can
> simply import it directly from your repo to TL; I don't see that it buys
> anything much to have it on CTAN.  (Unless MiKTeX can make use of it,
> which I do not know.)

I agre.

> In general, everything in the TDS version should be under hyph-utf8/ subdirs.
>
>    If one chooses to install hyphen-slovenian, then the old file
>    doesn't need to be installed. But under what condition would the old
>    file be installed then?
>
> Maybe it doesn't need to be, but I am thinking that it will be.

So - what should I put into tlpsrc then?
- old hyphenation patterns (legacy, the same entry as last year)
- new hyphenation patterns (hyph-foo.tex)
- execute foo patterns

while (indeed small) loadhyph-foo.tex and pattern-loader are installed
with the package itself?

Despite "it makes more problems", quite some glitches in tlpsrc files
need to be sorted out, and they should better be cleaned properly now
when we have the [re]sources to do that.

>    Is there a need for something like hyphen-legacy.tlpsrc package
>    where all the old files would be listed?
>
> I am thinking the other way around, actually:
> - existing packages and patterns stay as they are, at least this year.
> - you upload hyph-utf8 to CTAN.
> - I import hyph-utf8 to TL.
> - the hyph-utf8 package will include all your files, and always be
>  installed.

So - including all the pattern files? (A bit less than 3 MB at the moment.)