[tex-hyphen] UTF-8 Hyphen

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Mon Jun 9 17:25:45 CEST 2008

Javier Múgica wrote:
> Hello:
>
> I got the message from Mojca today. I was planing to write utf-8 patterns
> for LuaTeX, but I was waiting for the July release of LuaTeX to start with
> LuaTeX and then see if I could write a single file, that will be read
> properly both by current TeX and LuaTeX. Something like
>
> \ifx\undefined\SomethinginLuanotinTeX
> \else
>    Set up a LuaTeX callback to read latin1 characters and transform them to
> UTF-8
> \fi

that's no solution .. you cannot assume that the file that has the
patterns is the one in control over the loading so for luatex/xetex one
needs just patterns in utf and setting callbacks and such is not
something that is likely to happen in user files (like patterns) outside
a kind of infrastructure provided by the macropackage

for traditional tex one can use wrappers (macro package dependent btw)
to read utf (context for instance ships with a set of patterns in utf
format and uses them for pdftex/xetex/luatex) or one can ship the set in
the (often one) font encoding used

Hans