[tex-hyphen] german hyphenation patterns

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Sat Jun 7 14:38:16 CEST 2008

Stephan Hennig wrote:
> Taco Hoekwater schrieb:
>
>> I may be missing something here, but couldn't you use opatgen
>> (a patlib frontend) and do the whole process in unicode?
>>
>> See http://www.fi.muni.cz/~xantos/patlib/
>
> Are patterns generated by patlib superior to patgen (in terms of overall
> size, number of needed levels, etc.) or is it merely patgen implemented
> as a library?

Generated patterns should be very close (likely identical) to the
ones created by patgen, assuming the input abides the restrictions
imposed by patgen (it has to be 8bit and you have to make sure the
options you specify do not make the computations exceed patgen's
hardcoded internal limits).

I say 'should' because I do not have intimate knowledge of either
program. David Antos will be the right person to ask for sure
(assuming you can get a hold of him, of course).

Best wishes, Taco