[tex-hyphen] naming Swiss German hyphenation patterns

Stephan Hennig mailing_list at arcor.de
Wed Jul 23 16:57:54 CEST 2008

Hi,

German speaking hyphenation pattern team[*] is about to release
experimental patterns for Swiss German language (traditional and
reformed orthography), which differs from German language with respect
to sharp-s handling.

We'd like to follow Babel/Polyglossia/hyphutf-8 standards for naming
files and language identifiers.  The question is, what would be proper
names?

(i) For XeTeX patterns?

Wild guess:

  gsw-1901.tex
  gsw-1996.tex

(ii) For Babel's language identifier and file names?  Currently, we use

  language identifier     german                 ngerman
  UTF-8 patterns          german-x-<date>.pat    ngerman-x-<date>.pat
  8-bit wrapper           german-x-<date>.tex    ngerman-x-<date>.tex

For Swiss German I can think of the following alternatives along the lines

  gswiss/ngswiss
  germansw/ngermansw
  germanch/ngermanch

Note, Babel support for Swiss German language is not existent.
Currently, those patterns have to be used with language (n)german and
the hyphsubst package, e.g.,

\RequirePackage[ngerman=ngswiss-x-<date>]{hyphsubst}
\documentclass{article}
\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
\usepackage[ngerman]{babel}

That is, the pattern file name is actually irrelevant for our purposes.
 But we'd like to avoid introducing another naming scheme now. :)  Any
suggestions?

Best regards,
Stephan Hennig

[*] Who is /not/ really maintaining common German patterns (due to lack
of expertise).  For those, maintainer is still Walter Schmidt, who
actually /is/ part of our team.  But questions regarding common German
patterns should go directly to him.