[tex-eplain] TeX--XeT

terry.s at Safe-mail.net terry.s at Safe-mail.net
Wed Oct 25 22:12:49 CEST 2023

(Oops, meant to reply to list)
Thank you Laurence,

Maybe what you said in your other email --- something about particular glyphs in fonts --- is involved, though I can't see why. I did get ONE of the characters to display normally ONCE, so maybe not --- much seemed dependent on the exact syntax of my macro and where I reset the catcode again. (This issue did NOT occur with the demonstrated macro making "|TeX" a shortcut for "\TeX" from the 2005 TUGboat article.) But I'll have to re-construct my experiments to facilitate further demonstration (not doing it soon).

I was using "|" because I can't use "\" to end verbatim, for obvious reasons. "|" seemed a good choice because (unless one is demonstrating math code or listing command-line options) "|" is almost NEVER used in normal text (thus it's used for "|endverbatim").

> If I define a macro using one character as the escape and then set the catcode of another character to be the escape character, then the macro still exists, but you need to use the new escape character.

Aha ... so my code was probably TOTALLY GOOD (at one point) except I needed to RE-declare "\" as THE escape character!!!

(I BELIEVE that I once had "|" printable as the long dash in normal text after a previous verbatim was closed, and "|", supposedly escaped to be printed in math, was the character that still wouldn't print, [EDIT: but usually both wouldn't print] ... obviously referring to when code first compiled without error and verbatim opening and closing worked.) Sorry for the caps ... for emphasis only.

Do I understand you correcty??? There can be only 1 at a time????

Thank you,
Terry S.