[tex-eplain] btxmac.tex causes Runaway definition and Forbidden control sequence on compile.

Laurence.Finston at gmx.net Laurence.Finston at gmx.net
Tue Oct 10 09:27:50 CEST 2023

You have to include btxmac.tex before you include eplain.tex. I just tried this out and you get the error if you include eplain.tex first and you don't if you include btxmac.tex first.

At the beginning of btxmac.tex (/usr/share/texlive/texmf-dist/tex/eplain/btxmac.tex on my system), there is
a long explanation of how to use it. I don't use BibTeX so I don't know anything more about it.

> \beginpackages
> \usepackage{url}

I don't know about this. Is this defined in (plain) TeX when using eplain? It's correct for LaTeX but if one wants to use packages (and LaTeX syntax), I think one might just as well use LaTeX.

For hyperlinks, either of these commands suffices:
\enablehyperlinks[pdftex]
\enablehyperlinks[dvipdfm]

I often add this: \hlopts{bwidth=0}

Then, for the links, for example:

\hlstart{}{bwidth=0}{instructions}\Blue{General Instructions}\hlend
[...]
\hldest{fit}{}{instructions}