[tex-eplain] Error

Rodolfo Medina rodolfo.medina at gmail.com
Sun Jul 3 19:13:52 CEST 2016

Philip Taylor <P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk> writes:

> Rodolfo Medina wrote:
>
>     I've been linking different files one to another with cross-reference
>     hyperlinks. Recent versions of Eplain have actually cross-reference
>     hyperlinks, but only within one single file. I wrote some macros - years
>     ago - that put together hyperlinks and cross-references so to have
>     cross-reference hyperlinks work *also* between two different files. But I
>     want each of those different documents, linked now together with
>     cross-reference hyperlinks, to live and be processed by TeX not only as
>     single articles but also as children (sections) of a master: both
>     alternate possibilities according to needs. For that purpose, I needed
>     `\if' conditions that would alternatively activate both `modes': let's
>     call them `book' and `no book'. So now I'm going back to an old problem
>     in order to improve its solution already found years ago. What I want is
>     the following: when referring to a \subsection, *if* we are in book mode
>     I want something like simply `Section 3'. Instead, if we are in `single
>     articles' mode, I want something like `Article-Title Section 3'. I hope I
>     was clear enough.
>

> OK, I think I understand, but it is not an area in which I have any
> expertise.  I will investigate (when I have time) but others with more
> experience in this area are more likely to be of help to you. But (just a
> thought) -- assuming that "Article-Title Section 3" is not the displayed text
> (this would be trivial) but is instead a plain text representation of the
> contents of the hyperlink, is there any reason why such a hyperlink could not
> also be used in book mode ?
>
> ** Phil.

It could.  But you'd never have that normally in books.  Within a book, you'll
have simply `Section 3'; from article to article, you'll have `Article-Title
Section 3'.  Anyway, as I said mine is only now a fine tuning of macros that
have worked fine for years - although rough and home-made.  They were created
thanks to the help coming from Eplain TeX mailing list and others TeX-related.
Now the only problem is the annoying costraint of always having to put
\definexref along with the previous code.  Just a bother, and also after all a
malfunction.

Thanks, cheers,

Rodolfo