[tex-eplain] Multiple marks in eplain

Dan Luecking luecking at uark.edu
Thu May 28 22:29:37 CEST 2009

At 05:41 AM 5/28/2009, John Was wrote:
[stuff I don't follow deleted]

>In the headline definitions I would then of course need:
>
>\expandafter \iffalse \topmarks1\fi in the left headline, and
>
>\expandafter \iftrue \botmarks1\fi in the right headline

I'm afraid I can't really understand your requirements, but
it is very common for unterminated numbers to cause problems.
In the above two lines, \fi is processed before tex knows that
the "1" is all there is to this number. Try putting
  a space or \relax after the "1". For example:
     \expandafter \iffalse \topmarks1 \fi
or
     \expandafter \iffalse \topmarks1\relax\fi
The space is absorbed by tex in the process of parsing the number.
\relax may or may not be harmless, but it certainly won't contribute
any visible tokens.

Regards,
Dan

Daniel H. Luecking
Department of Mathematical Sciences
University of Arkansas
"Dubito ergo cogito, cogito ergo sum" --Descartes