[tex-eplain] Problems with math symbols in pdftex outlines

Rodolfo Medina rodolfo.medina at gmail.com
Tue Mar 31 13:05:41 CEST 2009

karl at freefriends.org (Karl Berry) writes:

> My understanding is that the PDF outlines are handled as "plain text" in
> a system encoding, rather than being normally typeset.

When I typeset `continuit\`a', the outline shows `continuit{accent 18 a}'.

> I am not sure whether the encoding is specifiable in the document, if
> it's always UTF-8, if it depends on the current locale, or what.  If you
> or anyone feels like looking into this, I'd be glad to know more details.
>
> If the encoding is Unicode, I guess it would be theoretically possible
> to write straight-line math, except that virtually no fonts exist with
> Unicode math support today.  And the spacing would likely be awful even
> if the glyphs were there.

My table of contents that appears in a left subwindow is automatically
produced, so outlines should be able to understand and expand TeX code.

I use plain (pdf)TeX, so I wonder how pdflatex handles this problem.

Thanks for your reply.
Rodolfo