[tex-eplain] Position of optional argument

Dan Luecking luecking at uark.edu
Thu Apr 30 23:15:50 CEST 2009

At 01:08 PM 4/30/2009, Rodolfo Medina wrote:
>Oleg Katsitadze <olegkat at gmail.com> writes:
>
> > On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 11:24:19AM +0100, Rodolfo Medina wrote:
> >> Strange: same test file, same version of eplain, but different results...
> >> In my case, without those braces following text is messed up.
> >
> > Can you send us the failing test file and the produced log file, as
> > attachments?
>

>Certainly.
>
>Bye
>Rodolfo
>

>\input /home/rodolfo/macros/eplain-3.2
>
>\catcode`@=\letter
>\def\mymacro#1{%
>   \def\temp <at> arg{#1}%
>   \@getoptionalarg\@mymacro}
>\def\@mymacro{%
>  \ifx\@optionalarg\empty
>   \else
>     \definexref{\@optionalarg}{label}{}

\definexref redefines \temp. It is generally inadvisable
to use such a generic name for your own temporary macros.
As far as I know, no macro package uses \my<anything>, so
\mytemp would be better.

On the other hand, general macro packages like eplain ought
to avoid simple macro names like like \temp and \next (or
even \cs (used in \@getoptioalarg), using instead something
unlikely to be tried by a user.

Dan

Daniel H. Luecking
Department of Mathematical Sciences
University of Arkansas
"Dubito ergo cogito, cogito ergo sum" --Descartes