[tex-eplain] eplain and XeTeX

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Sat Apr 18 00:00:34 CEST 2009

Hi Dorai,

    I'd like to use a Unicode font with eplain-on-XeTeX.

Just specify its name to \font?  XeTeX-reference.pdf talks about the
primitive commands XeTeX provides.

    However, I'd like to be able to specify Unicode characters using
    \char, i.e., \char"XYZW should typeset as U+XYZW.

Does XeTeX itself support that?  That's not something Eplain is going to
have anything to do with.

I'm not seeing anything about changes to \char in XeTeX-reference, but I
don't really know.  The bare commands for this seem to be
\XeTeXglyphindex and \XeTeXcharglyph.

It'd be great to have more write-ups/intros/whatever on plain xetex, for sure.

karl