[tex-eplain] pdf bookmarks - how to ?

Oleg Katsitadze olegkat at gmail.com
Mon Mar 12 14:14:22 CET 2007

On Sun, Mar 11, 2007 at 09:03:19PM +0100, Helmut Jarausch wrote:
> I'd like to generate bookmarks to navigate quickly
> when displaying the pdf file.

As John Culleton suggests, there's an example file distributed
with pdftex which illustrates this.  It is straightforward;
however, the text for the outline entries might be a problem.
>From PDF Reference 1.4:

   "Text strings are encoded in either PDFDocEncoding or Unicode
    character encoding.  PDFDocEncoding is a superset of the ISO
    Latin 1 encoding and is documented in Appendix D.  Unicode is
    described in the Unicode Standard by the Unicode Consortium
    (see the Bibliography)."

So, if you are planning to use anything outside Latin 1, you'll
have to translate the strings into Unicode.  This won't be trivial
to do entirely in TeX, but a small script in some scripting
language will easily do this.  I once wrote a small Python hack
for this, I can mail it if anybody needs it, let me know.

Best,
Oleg