[tex-eplain] \leavevmode in front of hyperlinks

Daniel H. Luecking luecking at uark.edu
Fri Jul 22 23:56:40 CEST 2005

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005, Karl Berry wrote:

>     But what is the reason for \ifvmode ?
>
> I was thinking that the \unhbox would actually contribute something to
> the horizontal list (which could therefore alter things), but I guess it
> doesn't.  So never mind.
>
> epsf.tex has strange interactions with \leavevmode and \begin{center} in
> LaTeX, but I suppose something else is going on there.

Actually, the problem was that \epsfbox{...} is just a box, and
therefore just added to the vertical list. The center environment,
however, works only on paragraphs by adjusting TeX's paragraph
parameters. One therefore needed \leavevmode\epsfbox{...} to start a
paragraph and get a centered figure.  Or else wrap \epsfbox{...} in
LaTeX boxing command (which all issue \leavevmode before adding anything
to the page).

In short, the problem was the lack, not the presence, of \leavevmode.

Dan

--
Dan Luecking
Dept. of Mathematical Sciences