[tex-eplain] Correct format for \indexsee and \indexseealso

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Tue Feb 1 23:55:31 CET 2005

    According to _Chicago Manual of Style_ and my inquiries on the
    Index-L listing, the following formats are correct for index items
    (note punctuation and capitalization):

Strangely, Knuth does not follow either of these styles in the TeXbook
index.  He is usually exceptionally careful about such things.  I
surmise there may be a third "acceptable" style.

    foo. See bar
    foo, 23, 32. See also bar
    foo, 23, 32. See also bar; bell

No matter how standard it is, this seems weird and ugly to me.  A
period, a capital letter, but no trailing period.  My eyes see a typo
there.

    There is also an acceptable alternative style:
    foo (see bar)
    foo, 23, 32 (see also bar)
    foo, 23, 32 (see also bar; bell)

This one seems fine.  I don't mind changing.  I didn't do any deep
research for the current Eplain style.  (Eplain doesn't quite do
Knuth's style either, although it's closest to that.)

    I am not competent to fix the code in eplain.tex.

I believe the parens can be added fairly easily (see below, untested).
However, the punctuation before the "(see" may be controlled by
makeindex.  I'm not sure.

Dorai, will you be able to look into this?

Thanks,
karl

*** /backup/archive/tug/home/ftp/tex/eplain/ORIG/xeplain.tex	Tue Aug 31 13:40:15 2004
--- /backup/archive/tug/home/ftp/tex/eplain/xeplain.tex	Tue Feb  1 14:52:47 2005
***************
*** 2248,2257 ****
  % \indexsee{TERM}{PAGENO} ignores PAGENO, and says `See TERM'.
  \def\seevariant{\it}%
! \def\indexseeword{See}%
! \def\indexsee#1#2{{\seevariant \indexseeword\ }#1}%
  %
  % \indexseealso{TERM}{PAGENO} is similar.
! \def\indexseealsowords{see also}%
! \def\indexseealso#1#2{{\seevariant \indexseealsowords\ }#1}%
  %
  %
--- 2248,2257 ----
  % \indexsee{TERM}{PAGENO} ignores PAGENO, and says `See TERM'.
  \def\seevariant{\it}%
! \def\indexseeword{(see}%
! \def\indexsee#1#2{{\seevariant \indexseeword\ }#1)}%
  %
  % \indexseealso{TERM}{PAGENO} is similar.
! \def\indexseealsowords{(see also}%
! \def\indexseealso#1#2{{\seevariant \indexseealsowords\ }#1)}%
  %
  %

Diff finished at Tue Feb  1 14:52:50