[tex-eplain] [JDM95003@uconnvm.uconn.edu: Question about eplain extensions]

Karl Berry karl@freefriends.org
Thu, 1 Nov 2001 09:31:47 -0500

Can anyone help Jim?  I don't know the answer myself.

Date:         Wed, 31 Oct 01 09:47:13 EST
From: Jim Monte <JDM95003@uconnvm.uconn.edu>
To: karl@cs.umb.edu
Subject:      Question about eplain extensions

Hi,

I found your macros for extending Plain TeX on the Internet and tried
using the two-column format.  It worked well until two insertions
appeared on the same page.  Around this section, there was a large
blank area about the size of the insertions.  Complicating things
a bit, I switched to single column to allow a full-width insertion
shortly after this.  Basically the input was
    \begincolumns2
    text
    \midinsert ... \endinsert
    text
    \midinsert ... \endinsert
    text
    \begincolumns1
    \midinsert ... \endinsert
    \begincolumns2

The output of page 12 had a space in the right column that was the
size of the two single-column insertions.  Page 13 began with the
full-page insertion, and the text below this extended too far down the
page, running off the bottom.  Any suggestions you may have on how to
fix this problem would be greatly appreciated!

Jim Monte