[tug-summer-of-code] A couple of project proposals

Daniel Kirsch danishkirel at googlemail.com
Mon Jun 29 10:22:17 CEST 2009

> 2) LaTeX handwriting-based symbol search
>       There are occasional posts to comp.text.tex asking by
>       description for a particular LaTeX symbol ("a capital U with a
>       dot...no, not with the dot above the U but centered within
>       it...no, not such a small dot, a bigger dot...").  It'd be a
>       great help to produce a Web site in which a user can draw a
>       symbol with the mouse and have the site return a list of LaTeX
>       symbols (glyph + package + control sequence) that best match the
>       user's drawing.

Hi,
I think I did something like that:

http://detexify.kirelabs.org

A friend of mine had this exact same idea and I just began it out of
interest. Actually I am a TeX beginner myself and my solution is far
from finished and leaves a lot to be desired. There are not too many
Symbols trained as of now either but it works reasonably well on greek
letters. I'd be glad to hear some feedback.
Daniel Kirsch